Alsacian Mulled Wine – A little bit of Christmas from abroad
I picked this up whilst working abroad; I prefer this to the English equivalent because it’s fruitier, sweeter and generally just tastes like nice, hot, alcoholic fruit juice.
Ingredients (for 6-8 people):
1.5 litres of red wine (2 75cl bottles)
– 250g brown sugar
– 1 unwaxed lemon
– 2 unwaxed oranges (If you can’t find unwaxed oranges and lemons, buy waxed and give them a good scrub with a scourer.)
– 2 cinnamon sticks
– 2 star anise
– 2 cloves
-1 pinch of grated nutmeg
1. Grate the lemons and oranges to create zest. Cut the remaining fruit into slices.
2. Mix all ingredients in a pan and warm slowly, just until it steams, unless you want to boil off the alcohol that is.
3. Heat for 15 minutes.
4. Filter using a sieve, or just ladle into mugs.
5. Place a slice of orange in glass and drink.